Friday, July 29, 2011

Week Two: Greasy Haired Girl and a Testimony of Jose Smith


Hola!

Well, I've made it through one week of the MTC. Can you believe it? Crazy! It has been an awesome experience and I feel the spirit all the time. I am very happy here.

BLAKE!!!!! Greasy haired girl has been spotted! Oh My Heavens!!! I could not believe it when I saw it! I was soooo shocked! I was like, “wait a minute... that’s the girl Blake's blog is about!” It is my sad duty to inform you that her hair is still greasy! Blessed soul!

So, on Monday night there was a fire alarm at 2:30 am in my housing. I could have killed someone. I have been having troubles getting to sleep here and I am severely lacking sleep. It is all that blasted fire alarm’s fault. I was laying in bed and this loud noise blasted in my ear because I am on a bunk bed. It was awful! I cursed under my breath checked to see if I had clothes on and proceeded to find shoes so I could exit the building with the other women. I was so grumpy I could of bit a snake. GAHHHH!! It went on for an hour and finally someone came to shut it off. There was no fire.....just technical problems. PISHHHH!!! Then it happened again that day.

Curse the world.

I finally got my travel info. It looks like I will be heading to Alanta on August the 9th at 11:00 am and getting to Guatemala at like 9:00ish... So I am letting you know now that I will be calling either before I leave or in Atlanta in the evening have your phones prepared.
  
I am sad I missed the celebration but by the sound of it I guess I didn't miss too much. I did sing my San Luis Valley song in the shower with all my heart and dreamt of blue shadows in the San Luis Valley. I recalled families swaying to the song. He he he.

So, the Sundays here are amazing. I was so inspired! There is this video by Jeffery R. Holland that I think everybody about to go on a mission should watch. Its called “Missions are Forever” and it has changed my whole outlook on my mission. It is amazing! Look it up!

My companions and I work really well together. They think I am funny -- as do the elders in my district because I can do voices. They also all want me to draw pictures for them of this tree I have been drawing lately. While I was drawing it I thought of Blake and how he would say “Now, is that what a tree looks like, Channing?!”  I swear -- a Mrs. Robins in the making. Haha.

So Spanish is getting a little bit better. Ha!  Well kind of… My teachers still feel sorry for me and have to walk me through everything

Let me tell you this story!

So my companions and I are teaching this investigator named Christian. It has been be an awesome experience and I have learned a ton. I am not one to say much in these meetings we have with him because it is all in Spanish and he talks really fast and I only get a few words out. So, two days ago we were talking about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. At first the lesson was terrible and everything was going down hill. We were about to close but then the Spirit told me to say a testimony of the Jose Smith and the El Libro de Mormon.

I was like: “WHAT! Don't you know I can't speak espanol?! “ But it said I could do it. So I say, “Christian, I know this is all hard to understand, but I know that if you read and pray about it you will know it is true.” I said it all in Spanish and was crying my eyes out. The spirit hit everyone and Christian looked at me like he had been waiting to hear that. I was like, “Whoa, that was different.” Haha.  It was so cool.

In his prayer he asked Heavenly Father to help him know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph was a prophet. It was soooooo awesome!

When he was finished, I looked and my companions and I were all crying. He asked what was wrong and I looked and him and pointed to all of us and said, “CHICAS....” He laughed so hard. It was an awesome experience!

The MTC is a special place and I am enjoying every minute of it. I hope everyone is well and I encourage everyone to write on Dear Elder. Those letters make my day every time. Just know that I love you guys and that I am praying for your health and safety in Espanol every night! I love you all!

--
Hermana Channing Jackson

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love the updates from Hermana Jackson (aka Chica Jackson). Keep them coming! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete