Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week Five: The Streets of Guatemala



Hello there!

It is so good to hear from you guys and Brett. His email really got to me and I printed it out highlighted his last paragraph and shared it with everyone. He really has made an impact on some missionaries lives, mine included.

Well, I am finally on the mend. I have been eating only bland foods and I am starving. I've lost a bit of weight though, which is always good.

At the CCM every Saturday we do service in neighborhoods near the temple and other places. I really enjoy it because I get to leave these gates, wear pants, and work hard. Some missionaries here have never picked up a rake, trash bag or broom in their life and I've had a thing or two to say about that. There was this elder next to me standing with a trash bag looking out into space and  I was raking all these leaves. I told him "Don't stand there with your teeth in your mouth! There is trash right where I am raking -- you have hands, pick it up!" He jumped. I probably could of said it nicer but some people just need a good barking at. The crew boss in me came out.

Yesterday, I got out of the city and did a run at tracting with my other companion. They give us Latina companions. Mine is from the Dominican Republic where Grandma and Grandpa Bagwell served. Her named is Hermana Jimenez. And she is a go-getter! I cant understand a thing she says but it is all good. We went to the city in a pretty poor part of down. I was in awe. Such a different life, but I love it. There are guards with guns everywhere here. It is kind of interesting. There are gates and fences, bars, and dogs on top of roofs. It is such a different world. The Guatemalans can be soo soo nice, but you do run into the mean ones. Like the guards are terrifying. I haven't really gone through a huge culture shock, but I am sure it will kick in sometime.

Anyway, so we contacted a few people. Mostly when they saw me I heard the following words "Bonita, Rubia, Alta", etc... I was like, "Well, hola to you too!" That is basically all I said. "Hola, para usted, Si, soy de Colorado, voy a Panama, and Much Gusto..", but I felt so good when we were talking to these people. We met a man who owned this shop full of Coke! I was soooo happy. He was so nice he said I was really tall. He was a really good guy. We gave him some pamphlets and the missionaries are going to visit him sometime next week. I loved that little guy. It was such a great first time experience.

Oh, the Dear Elders do work here as well but take like a week or so to get here. But they told us that during our last few weeks to not send them because I probably wont get them. 
I am dying to know where Ashley is going to go. I am so excited for her! I hope she gets called to Panama. Cross your fingers!

I was wondering how my blogs are doing? I know I have book reviews coming every month and I wondered how my followers are doing. I hope you put up every bit of detail about my letters on my blog. This stuff is all kinds of classy! (Editors Note: Some of it is a bit too "classy" for the public.) Oh, and if there is anyway I can get those new pictures of our family I would be happy to have one.

Well, I don't have much to say this week besides Happy Almost-birthday to Blake on August 31st! Whoop Whoop. Slap his butt for me!   Also, next Tuesday I will be writing because it will be my field trip shopping day. I am wicked excited! I will try to sends some pictures soon.
Well, The work is great, Spanish is coming along, and I am loving the gospel more and more each day. I love you guys and I hope everyone is doing well.

I miss you. But not enough to come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment